Monday, August 1, 2011

Vulnerability


I have found that nothing in my life has made me feel more vulnerable than becoming a widow.  The learning curve on this new life is steep and there are lots of landmines along the way.  While this grief journey has brought out the very best in me, it has also accentuated the very worst.  I am skittish and insecure.  I think that is part of the whole widow deal.

But what if I could learn to embrace my vulnerabilities and imperfections so that I could engage in this new life thrust upon me from a place of authenticity and worthiness? How do I cultivate the courage, compassion, and connection that I need to recognize that I am enough just the way I am?  How to I convince myself that I am worthy and capable of love, belonging, and joy?

I don't know if you are familiar with TED Talks.  If you have some time, you need to peruse the TED site.  The speakers are amazing and from all walks of life.  However, each has something unique and powerful to share.

I love this poignant, funny talk talk by Brene Brown. She studies human connection -- our ability to empathize, belong, love. She shares a deep insight from her research, one that sent her on a personal quest to know herself as well as to understand humanity. 

I enjoyed Brene's talk so much...it's lengthy, but powerful and worth your time.  I hope you'll watch.

27
Cyna

 

4 comments:

Fowler08 said...

You are so inspiring. Thanks for my sharing!!!

OhanaMama said...

Just popping in to say that your article on friendship over at tinybuddha.com was fantastic!

I agree whole-heartedly, and I am glad you are blessed with such supporive friends, and that they are blessed with your friendship.

Keep writing!

Big Zen said...

I came across this talk a few months ago and I thought it was pretty amazing. Wishing you the very best on your journey!

Ana Ramirez said...

Losing someone you love is so painful, this I know first-hand but it's the connections and the lessons that make the pain slightly more bearable. Thank you for your courage. It's inspiring.
Ana