As a teacher in this close-knit community, I know/knew all these people. I ache for all the grief and pain these families are going through. The fact that it comes at Christmas, which should be a time of joy, makes the pain cut even deeper.
As my grandmother used to say, "We are in a world of hurt."
All these tragedies...as well as my own...remind me that life is ephemeral. We are not promised tomorrow. We have only today. Make your today count.
- Smile at a stranger.
- Keep the day positive. Don't let a whine, vent, or negative thing out of your mouth.
- Look for a beautiful picture to take with your camera phone and preserve a memory.
- Make a new friend, even if it is the odd man behind you in the check-out line at Wal Mart.
- Open the door for someone.
- Say thank you. A lot.
- When you come to the end of the day, count your blessings. They are far more than you think.
So, when a world of hurt rolls your way, choose to make your day count. It will definitely make you feel better, and might shine a little light on another's day, too.