Sunday, July 17, 2011

To my son, Paul


Unselfish and noble actions are the most radiant pages in the biography of souls.  ~David Thomas
  

When my husband died, my eldest son, Paul, gave up his graduate studies and a wonderful job as a graduate assistant to move home and take care of me.  I did not ask him to do this.  He just knew I needed him.

This decision was costly for my son.  He left behind his support system of friends, a job he loved, and graduate credits that wouldn’t transfer.  Coming home as an adult is difficult in the best of circumstances.  I can’t imagine what a nightmare it has been for him to live in a house of grief.

But he came.

And he stayed.

He is here still.

How do you thank someone for that kind of sacrifice?

Paul has been my great support and held me up when I could not stand.  He has been a problem solver and has taken care of countless details and decisions.  He has become the man of this house. 

I am blessed to be his mother.

His father would be so proud of him.

So, thank you, Paul, for helping me pick up the pieces of our shattered life and gently put them back together again.  Thank you for being strong when I wasn’t.  Thank you for loving me unconditionally and sacrificially.  Thank you….for being YOU.

27
Cyna

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Absolutely beautiful, Cindy! Paul is an amazing man (so are the other two) who loves you dearly! I know you are extremely proud of him, but I also know that he is extremely proud of you! You have all come so far on this journey. Just know you are loved by many and all of us are blessed to call you...friend! Love ya..Jennifer Poore

Pam said...

Cindy,
There are so many times that I'll see a picture of Paul and almost mistake him for Steve. He reminds me so much of his father.
What a blessing to know that Paul acted sacrificially and came to your aid as his father would have wanted.
His willingness to drop his studies and come home tells me what he's made of.......doing the right thing....and lot's of love for his Mama:)
Thanks, as always for sharing your blog. I look forward to it every time you post.
Love you,
Pam