Sunday, September 11, 2011

My 9-11


Most of us can remember where we were and what we were doing on September 11, 2001.  I was at school, teaching as usual, when another teacher came to my room and said there had been a plane accident in New York.  Later, office staff came around and apprised us of what really happened and we were told to not share the news with the children. 

I wear my emotions on my sleeve.  My students knew something was wrong.  I assured them that I was fine and continued on with a regular routine.  When parents began checking their children out of school in great numbers, my own worry was mirrored in the faces of my students. 

At the end of the school day, no one stayed and worked late.  We all rushed home to our families… to hug our spouses…our children.  Our eyes were glued to the horror on the television screen.  Later that evening, our church opened and we were filled to capacity.  As we prayed for the families of those lost and those missing, we were reminded that this could be us.  We set a course of action to help.

The whole nation turned out to help.
People put aside their politics, personalities, and preferences.
In all my years, I have never seen such unity.
We became ONE people.
It was our finest moment as a country.

We all face our own personal 9-11s. 
The day our world stops turning.
Mine was 7-5-10.
And while the horror of that day still haunts,
I cannot forget the unity of my friends, family, and community in my time of loss.

So many kindnesses extended on behalf of my family.
Food.
Errands.
Funeral planning.
My friends bathed me, did my hair and make up…dressed me.
They slept with me for a week so when I woke up in terror, they were there to soothe me.
There were flowers, cards, and memorial donations.
I could go on and on…

During MY 9-11, I saw the people I love at their finest.
For this I will always be grateful and
I WILL NEVER FORGET.

27
Cyna


No comments: